Life is made up of many pieces, like a puzzle. Here I attempt to put them all together.

Monday, September 20, 2010

I Thought I Lost the Chicken Nuggets

When I came downstairs this morning at 6:00 I was startled to find Mona (my helper) standing in the kitchen reading the weekly menu that I had posted on the bulletin board. She wasn't scheduled to come in until 10AM so I was very surprised to see her. It turned out she had been at the hospital all night with her 19 year old son who has a blood clot in his leg. She was on her way home and stopped by to see what was coming up for the day  and to see if she could get a head start on anything. I told her she could take the day off if she wanted/needed to, but she insisted on working.

 Since there were green beans on the menu she took a large can of them and a large kettle home with her to get them started cooking while she took care of a few things at home and made some phone calls. I told her I would start the chicken nuggets and french fries and keep an eye on them when the time came if she wasn't here by then. So when it was time to start lunch I took a few minutes to get the food out of the freezer, put it on baking sheets and put it in the oven. Then I took the kids into the back yard to play. Since the door to the back yard is right off the kitchen in was easy enough to pop in and check on them now and then. After we were out a little while I decided to check on the food. I came in and looked in the oven and the fries were coming along nicely. But I didn't see any chicken nuggets. Irritated with myself for forgetting to put them in the oven I turned around to see where on the kitchen counter I had left them. No chicken nuggets. Now really annoyed with myself  I opened the oven door again to see if I had somehow missed them there. Still no chicken nuggets. I checked the freezer to see if I just thought I had gotten them out. No nuggets. Now getting a little concerned about my state of mind I looked in the refrigerator, in the freezer again, in the second refrigerator. No nuggets. Getting a little desperate I checked the cabinets. Still no nuggets.Now feeling a little hysterical I started laughing and looked some more. Nothing. Finally, I called Amanda, who was in the yard with the kids to come in for a little. I was laughing so hard I almost couldn't talk.

"Amanda" I said. "I have a little problem." She looked puzzled and very unsure of what on earth this problem might be. "I lost the chicken nuggets."

Now she started laughing. "Mona came by and got them and took them home with her to finish baking." she said.

I still haven't figured out why Mona decided to take the nuggets home with her and leave the fries in the oven but I'm sure she had her reasons. I'm just glad to know that I wasn't hallucinating when I thought I put them in the oven.

1 comment:

  1. This post cracked me right up! This sounds exactly like something that would happen to me. Glad you found your nuggets and that you weren't going bonkers. LOL.

    ReplyDelete