Life is made up of many pieces, like a puzzle. Here I attempt to put them all together.

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Against Medical Advice - The Book


On our weekly library trip last week I checked out "Against Medical Advice" by James Patterson and Hal Friedman. Because I have limited time to read I checked out the book on CD version.

I found this to be a very touching, insightful look into the life a boy, Cory Friedman, who struggles with Tourette Syndrome, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder and anxiety. Since I struggled with a sudden onset of OCD at the age of nine his story resonated strongly with me. I identified strongly with many of the feelings and thoughts that he shared. And yet he struggled with much more than I ever had to deal with and came out on the other side, strong and successful. I would recommend this honest, sometimes sad, but ultimately encouraging book to anyone who wants a deeper understanding of the life of someone who struggles with these disorders.

There is also a website called "If I Can Help Just One . . ." that has some information and links.

1 comment:

  1. I have been looking for a new book to read, this looks great! Thanks for sharing Rose!

    ReplyDelete