Life is made up of many pieces, like a puzzle. Here I attempt to put them all together.

Sunday, August 30, 2009

Personal Book Study: Ordering Your Private World by Gordan Macdonald

I bought this book about 12 years ago, because I've always enjoyed reading motivational and self-help books. I've always loved reading about time management, organization, etc. My problem is actually applying what I've learned. Maybe, since I have trouble applying it, I haven't learned it, only read about it.

Anyway.

I'm reading the book again, and writing about it as I go, in the hope that putting what I'm learning into words will help me apply it to daily life. I also hope that each person who reads this will enjoy the journey with me. My goal is to post about one chapter each day.

Each of us has different desires, needs, roles, etc., and what I learn may not be what you need or want at this time in your life. But maybe something here will spark something in you that will be useful or helpful to you. Or maybe you will have a comment that will be helpful to me.

Oh, and speaking of comments . . . .

Please, Please, PLEASE, leave some. Let's have a conversation. I would love to hear from, and learn to know better, all of you. Even if you disagree with me, I want to hear from you.

And now with no further ado - I will begin!

In the preface of this book Gordon MacDonald talks about the number of people, even those who seem greatly successful and who seem to have it all together, struggle with organization of their inner life, their private world. There are many books, many articles, websites, seminars, and other resources to designed to help us organize seemingly every area of our lives, and to make us more "productive." Yet there seems to be little that truly addresses the question of internal or spiritual order. And yet their lies the heart of the matter.

In John 15:4 Jesus tells us that He wants us to abide in Him and He in us. For there to be true order in my private life everything must be based on this key component.

Gordan MacDonald identifies five spheres that make up our private world. They are as follows -
Sector One: Motivation
Sector Two: Use of Time
Sector Three: Wisdom and Knowledge
Sector Four: Spiritual Strength
Sector Five: Restoration

I can hardly wait to examine these in more detail in the coming days. Please join me.

1 comment:

  1. This isn't usually my sort of thing but I am intrigued that someone has discussed the ordering of our inner world. That is the only one I usually feel I have any control over but it is out of balance. I am weak in all areas of practical application, strong in theoreticals. Naturally I like theory. We usually like that which we're good at. ☺

    I shall be interested to see how these 5 spheres get brokendown.

    ReplyDelete