Life is made up of many pieces, like a puzzle. Here I attempt to put them all together.

Monday, September 7, 2009

I Did It!

I did it! I got out of bed at 4AM this morning to exercise (well, 4:08AM, close enough).

For the last few months I've been thinking about and trying different ideas to get a little more exercise. At one point I tried to tell myself that taking care of these little people should be all the exercise I need. But the scales were telling me a different story. I tried scheduling afternoon exercise. Something always came up to interrupt it. I tried scheduling an early evening walk. Something always came up to interrupt it. I tried scheduling a 4AM walk. I got up. I looked outside. It was DARK. Way too dark. I couldn't get myself to go out there.

So last week I sat down again and looked at all my options, and decided that a 4AM appointment with the exercise bike was my best option. Any other time of day I will be interrupted, unless it's late at night. And I KNOW I won't exercise then. I spent some time thinking about what would motivate me to get out of bed at that time of the morning. I decided that if the coffee and the computer were ready for me when I got done I would have something to look forward too. So I set up the coffee pot the night before, timed to have a fresh pot of coffee ready. When I first got up I immediately went and turned on the computer so that it could run through it's start up I was on the bike. And I got my CD player and put in a CD from the audio book I'm listening too, and listened too it while I rode the bike. It worked. I lasted less than ten minutes on the bike, but that's okay. I'll work up to 20 to 30 minutes. The important thing is that I started. And I feel great about it.

Now, let's see if I can make two in a row. I'll let you know tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment