Life is made up of many pieces, like a puzzle. Here I attempt to put them all together.

Monday, March 22, 2010

Overwhelmed

I am surrounded by a sea of little faces,
Little hands
Little hearts.
Needing, wanting, demanding
And I am overwhelmed.
Laughing, crying, slyly planning,
So many little personalities,
And yet not so little.
They are loud,
And they are quiet.
And I am overwhelmed.

Overwhelmed by what?

Demands? Yes.
Neediness? Yes.
Noise? Yes.
Clutter? Chaos? Yes and Yes.

But so much more than these
I am overwhelmed
By little faces smiling,
Little arms around my neck,
"I wuv you" and
Laughter spilling out like music.

Quiet concentration 
 As a new skill is mastered.

The sudden breakthrough moment
When the curtain breaks away
For just an instant
And a struggling child shares with me
A rare look of quiet peace
And I am still
In awe
Of the child within the storm.

Overwhelmed by the beauty
Of an innocent little soul.
Unquestioning love.
Unearned acceptance.

I am overwhelmed.

No comments:

Post a Comment